When we bought our house, many of the phone jacks were the old square kind with four holes in the corners. I replaced these with modern style modular jacks. I wanted to do it nicely, so when I removed the old jacks, I cut a rectangular hold in the wall. I inserted a metal bracket into the hole that had tabs that could bent to grip the drywall. This bracket had holes that a phone jack plate could be screwed to.
This was fine until now as I am setting about to seal my house against infiltration and exfiltration of air. I have been caulking the small gaps around my outlet and switch box, yet I have big gaping holes hidden behind my phone jack plates. So I bought some boxes that have little plastic tabs designed for this. I removed the phone jack plates and the metal brackets. I had to cute the hole just a little bigger for the new boxes. I spread a bead of caulk around the inside of the hole. I ran the wire through the box, and inserted the box into the hole in the wall. There are screws that you tighten that will flip the tab out, and then clamp it down to hold the box tightly in position in the dry wall. I added a caulk to fill any remaining gaps around the box. I also replaced the plates that had the phone jacks built into them. I bought a few phone jacks that screw into the box like and outlet or a switch. I then screwed the palte into place. I tried the little foam pads, but they didn’t work well for these and left the plate raised above the phone jack part.
I also caulked and replaced a couple outlets and a switch. I noticed that behind my baseboard heaters there is a hole where the wire comes through the wall. I havne’t figured out the best way to seal this yet. Probably expanding foam, but it seems like the wire needs to slide through the hole a bit to position baseboard heater against the wall.
Still haven’t head back about the home performance energy audit yet. I should call the guy. It has been over two weeks since we had the audit done.