Rand Lathe Duplicator
I have been watching an auction for a Rand lathe duplicator on ebay. It looks similar to the $170 duplicator sold by Harbor Freight. I set up a snipe bid for a little over $50, and when I got home from my Aikido class, I saw that I had won the auction for a little over $40. The shipping $22 something. The duplicator apparently had been returned with a hole that had not been threaded, and a chipped cutting tool. Hopefully there is nothing else wrong with it. I have a nice Craftsman tap set, and can tap the hole with the needed threads as long as they are standard. I don’t have a metric set, but I can always pick one up if I need to. Can’t have too many tools. Depending on how badly, and where the tool is chipped, it may still be usable, but if not I have a 3/8 inch Delta cutting tool, and some 1/4 inch blanks. I might be able to repair the tool my slow speed grinder.
I visited Harbor Freight Tools today. That place is cool. I am a bit leary on some of the power tools. They look pretty cheap. Actually most of the stuff looks cheap, but depending on what you are looking for, the stuff may work for what you are doing. I picked up a sledge hammer, and a wood splitting wedge. It is raining today, but hopefully tommorrow, we will haul some wood that I cut last year up the hill, and at some point I can split some wood. So when we get our fireplace cleaned and inspected, we can have some fires, and heat the house some using wood. Maybe that will cut down on our electric bills. I just hope there is nothing wrong with the fireplace. If there is, we will deal with it.
I also picked up some C-clamps. I have been goofing with my lathe. I took a 2×4 and glued it together, and weighted it down with weights to dry. But parts of the boards didn’t get adequately pressed together. So I bought the C clamps, and will try another one, and press the boards together, and hopefully have better results. The first boards I glued together, I have been turning into a baseball bat. Just for fun. It is the wrong kind of wood for a baseball bat…too soft. And since the boards have an open seam in a couple spots, that makes it all the more unuseable. But I am getting better with the tools, and the lathe. I may try to make a bed post with the next couple pieces I glue together.