The primary heating in our house is electric baseboard heaters. The house is a post & beam style, so not much else would work well. Last eyear I replaced all the old thermostats with newer programmable ones. They are very good, and help keep the temperatures more consistent.
In our bedroom area, there were two baseboard heaters, both connected to the same thermostat. One was a 3 foot unit (400 watts), and the other was a 6 foot unit (1000 watts). One of the units stayed cold, and the other was making popping noises, and my wife said she smelled a burning smell. I never smelled it though. I decided to replace the units.
The new baseboard heaters give more wattage for the same size. So I was able to get a 6 foot baseboard heater that was 1500 watts that would replace both the 6 foot and 3 foot units that were there.
I stopped in at Home Depot yesterday afternoon. A basic 6 foot/1500 watt electric baseboard heater was only $47. But they also had these hydronic baseboard heaters. They were a little taller, and cost about $170 for a 6 foot/1500 watt unit. I am not sure what all differences are, but the hydronic model seemed to be able to retain heat and distribute it more evenly. I didn’t think I needed anything like that. The programmable thermostats I put in are smart, and learn the characteristics of the room, and modify it’s functionality. It can send partial power to the baseboard heater. Where many thermostats can only send 100% or 0%, mine can send 25% 50%, 100%, or other percentages of power. And they learn how long it takes for the room to come up to temp. So it can turn on the heater, and shut off before the heat actually reaches the thermostat.
So I bought the basic $47 electric baseboard heater.
The first thing I needed to was to remove the old baseboard heaters. I shut off the circuit breaker. I checked the thermostat to be sure there was no power to it. 240 volts is nothing to play around with! I lifted up the heaters which were mounted on little metal hangers nail to the wall. I unscrewed a little plate to access the wiring. I removed the caps to release the wires. There was also a cable clamp where the electical wires came in the back. I loosened the screws on these, and pulled the heaters away from the wall. I removed the hangers with a nail puller.
I found the wires first came into the 3 foot unit, then came out of it, and went to the 6 foot unit. Since I wasn’t replacing the 3 foot unit, I used wire caps to connect the wires straight through.
Using a screwdriver I removed the punch-out where the wire would enter the new baseboard heater. I used the cable clmap from one of the old heaters. Upon removing the access plate, I found a red wire and black wire twisted together with a cap. I removed the cap. I ran the wires in the back, connected the black wire to the black wire, the white wire to the red wire, and the copper ground to the copper ground. I tightened the screws on the cable clamp. I moved the heater into position. There were little “X”s where the mounting screws could go. I found the “X”s closest to where the hangers had been figureing this is where the studs were located. I drilled small holes through 2 of the “X”s. Using a couple scews, I fixed the heater to the wall. I reattached the access plate.
Now for the test. I flipped on the breaker. It didn’t snap off, so far, so good. The thermostat was on but not sending power to the heater is it was above the set temp. I cranked up the temp on the thermostat until it turned on. I went over and felt the baseboard heater. After a few second I began to feel it heat up. Great! Another thing accomplished! One down, and about a thousand to go! It never frigging ends!