How To Home

Home Repair and Maintenance

Google

Well, we have finally had some dry weather, and the deck has dried out enough that I wanted to take a look at it. I got my pry bar and hammer out, and started prying up planks. I started with the board closest to the house, where the deck is collasped.
Well, I figured out what happened, or at least part of it. It looks like there were some 2×10 board mounted to the concrete foundation. From what I can see, it looks like it was very poorly attached, using only some masonry screws, and not enough of them. I can only see a couple of them in the middle.
We have stopped for the moment. I need to remove more boards, clean up all the leaves and debris under there, and assess the situation. I think we maybe be able to jack up that side of the deck again, and then mount it more solidly to concrete foundation. Probably using more and longer masonry screws. Maybe I can use some liquid nails type stuff too. I will have to do some research, and maybe talk to the people at Home Depot & Lowes.
Interestingly, we found a dryer vent under the deck that we didn’t know about. It probably goes into the downstairs utilitie room that is set up for a washer & dryer set up, but we don’t have any in there. I am guess that the vent is where mice have been getting into the house. I will the little vent flap was in a wide open position. I pushed it closed. I will look into sealing it up.

I finally settled on using the caulk style glaze made by DAP, instead of the putty type glaze. I just don’t have the time to do the putty type glaze. And with my inexperience, it is unlikely it will look any better. So I bought a cartridge of DAP window glaze.
The weather was pretty nice yesterday, so I got start on a couple of the lower windows. I figured these would be easy to practice on, much easier than being up on the ladder. I love the angled tip on the caulk With a little practice, I was starting to get pretty good at applying the glaze. It basically just takes a steady even hand, and some patience.
The lower windows turned out pretty good. I used up most of the caulk on these two windows. So on my way to my karate class, I picked up a couple more cartridges. When I got home last night, I still had some light left. So I decided to work on the other windows. I got my ladded out, and got started. It took a while. It was harder to do while working on the ladder. They didn’t look as nice as the lower windows. They still looked okay, but the caulk glaze wasn’t as smooth in the places where I needed to step down on the ladder.
I managed to finish the last of it in the waning light.
I thought I was down, but remembered some windows out front. THey don’t have the leaking problems from blowing rain, but I figure I will do them anyway. Glazing the windows may help seal the house a little better too. Our house can use all the air sealing it can get!

« Previous Page



Previous Posts
Recent Posts
Recent Comments
May 2007
M T W T F S S
« Apr   Jul »
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
RSS
Comments RSS
Crawl Page
Copyright © 2013 How To Home